Thursday

People are Gifts


Persons are Gifts

Persons are gifts which God sends to me wrapped.
Some are wrapped very beautifully.
They are very attractive when I first see them.
Some come in very ordinary wrapping paper,
And others have been mishandled in the mail.
Once in a while, there is a special delivery.
Some people are gifts
which come very loosely wrapped,
others very tightly.
But the wrapping is not the gift,
It is easy to make this mistake.

Sometimes the gift is very easy to open,
and some need others to help.
Is it because they are afraid?
Does it hurt?
Maybe they have been opened before
and thrown away.
Could it be the gift is not for me?

I am a person, therefore,
I am a gift too.
A gift to myself first of all.
God gave myself to me.
Have I ever really looked inside
the wrappings, afraid to?
Perhaps I have never accepted
the gift that I am.
Could it be that there is something
else inside the wrappings
than what I think there is?
Maybe I have never seen the
wonderful gift that I am.
Could God’s gift be anything but beautiful?
I love the gifts which those who love
me give to me.
Why not the gifts from God?
Am I willing to be given
by God to others?
A gift for others?
Do others have to be content with wrappings,
never permitted to enjoy the gifts?

Persons are gifts.
Gifts received and gifts given.
God help me to be a gift.

Author unknown.

No comments: