Tuesday

Celebrity Cook Along - Ina Garten

Lynn, at Happier Than a Pig in Mud has started a new monthly meme that I think will be a lot of fun, it's Celebrity Cook-Along and we are to share a recipe we have tried of one of the celebrities. Thanks for hosting, Lynn! This month Ina Garten is the celebrity. She has a wonderful meatless meal that I make often and hope you will try it too.

Lemon Broccoli Bowtie Pasta


This microplane tool is perfect for this recipe!

These are a must for this recipe!

Bad picture, but this lemon squeezer is also great!

Voila!


Broccoli and Bow Ties

Ingredients

  • Kosher salt
  • 8 cups broccoli florets (4 heads)
  • 1/2 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup toasted pignoli (pine) nuts
  • Freshly grated Parmesan, optional

Directions

Cook the broccoli for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove the broccoli from the water with a slotted spoon or sieve. Place in a large bowl and set aside.

In the same water, cook the bow-tie pasta according to the package directions, about 12 minutes. Drain well and add to the broccoli.

Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, heat the butter and oil and cook the garlic and lemon zest over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Off the heat, add 2 teaspoons salt, the pepper, and lemon juice and pour this over the broccoli and pasta. Toss well. Season to taste, sprinkle with the pignolis and cheese, if using, and serve.

To toast pignolis, place them in a dry saute pan over medium-low heat and cook, tossing often, for about 5 minutes, until light brown.

2002 Barefoot Contessa Family Style
  • Prep Time: 15 min
  • Inactive Prep Time:Cook Time 8 min
  • Level: Easy
  • Serves:
  • 6 to 8 servings
  • I made a few minor changes:
    I used frozen broccoli florets, and cooked them in the microwave.
    I use lots more garlic as we love the flavor.
    I use the juice from the whole lemon.
    I toast the pine nuts in the toaster oven, watch carefully as they burn easily!
    We had never had pine nuts until I tried this recipe. We love them! Don't omit
    them, they make a big difference!
    Be sure to use fresh shredded parmesan cheese, and lots of salt and pepper!
    Yum! Now I wish I could have this for supper tonight!!
    For meat lovers you can add chicken strips or shrimp.

    This is the order I prepare this dish:
    While pasta is boiling,
    Toast the nuts
    Zest the lemon
    Chop the garlic
    Microwave the broccoli, drain.
    Melt the butter with the olive oil,
    add the garlic, lemon juice, zest and salt and pepper
    Add the broccoli, stir and heat well.
    Drain pasta, add to broccoli mixture, stir and heat well.
    Place on a platter, sprinkle with parmesan and toasted pine nuts
    Serve!

    Enjoy!

    My St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl tablescape is also posted here.
    Katherine

    11 comments:

    A Hint of Home said...

    This sounds so yummy, I'm going to have to try it sometime soon. Love all the ingredients so I'm sure it will be a hit.

    Lynn said...

    I'm a big fan of meatless meals Katherine and this looks great! Love the addition of the lemon, think I'll be trying this out for sure!. Thanks so much for joining the Cook-Along:@)

    Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

    Ina is a favorite of mine as is anything with pasta! Looks so good!

    Miz Helen said...

    Hi Katherine,
    Your Pasta dish looks really good. I like the recipe and will try it very soon. Thank you for sharing and you have a great day!

    Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

    Kathrine, Wonderful recipe! I love all your hints and helps. I agree with you... I would have added more garlic too. I love the lemon, shaved parmesan and toasted pine nuts. I love that combo.
    Broccoli and Bow Ties is a must try recipe.
    Yvonne

    Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

    I saw Ina make this on one of her shows and forgot about it--but I will definitely make it now as it has so many of my favorite ingredients. I used pine nuts in my recipe too (palmiers) but I have been eating them in middle eastern food since I was a small child, so I knew how delicious they are! Thanks for the recipe! Linda

    Unknown said...

    Oh, great! I aget another pasta salad recipe ... I am the pasta cheese gal, for sure. TY for sharing.

    Happy St. Paddy's Day ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    Entertaining Women said...

    Thanks for the yummy recipe and for stopping by my post. I'll give it a try. Cherry Kay

    The Quintessential Magpie said...

    Katherine, this look delicious! YUM!

    I was dropping by for the blog crawl when I saw this recipe. Thought I'd stop and savor it before going to the next post.

    I've been MIA (lots going on), but I missed you and wanted to pop over.

    Hope you are doing well. Miss you...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    cocoa and coconut said...

    This looks like such a great dish! I love pasta bow-ties; they are so cute. Plus, you've paired it with other great ingredients.

    Kathleen said...

    Looks delicious, K! Nice and light. I like bow ties!