Tuesday

Vacations, etc....

Tea Party for Lallee
(the plates are really purple)

I’m having a difficult time springing back from vacation! Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and restful, but it seems I need a vacation, after a vacation!! There are so many things I want to tell you about our vacation, but will wait until after Easter. I will tell you this though – we visited two tea rooms, I enjoyed very much!!

I have more Easter pictures to share with you this week. I bought a few new things I have to take pictures of yet, hopefully I’ll get to those soon. I’m showing some photos of other Easters. The picture above is from a small "tea party for two" a few years ago. Our friend, Lallee, came to visit me and this is what we had! I hope we can do it again someday!

The two pictures below are of a tea party I had a few years ago. Some of the food was served in Easter baskets.

I made these Easter Bonnet cookies below, they are made with my grandmother's Old Fashioned Tea Cake recipe:

I'm adding the recipe for these tea cakes at Betty's request:

Old Fashioned Tea Cakes

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 “quart” flour (yes, a quart!)
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
A little nutmeg (about ½ tsp, or more)

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, then stir in dry ingredients.

Roll out thick (almost ½ inch) Cut with a large cookie cutter (I use a Hunt’s Spaghetti Sauce can, lid out on both ends) Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 13 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on wire racks.

(I also have another of my grandmother’s tea cake recipes using shortening and baking powder, if you would like it as well)

**************************

I’m going to participate in La Tea Dah’s Tea-Blog-A-Thon, which started this week, so I need to get crackin’ and post that soon!

I apologize for not commenting on your blogs, I hope to get caught up on those soon too! I have taken a few peeks at them, but have been brain weary and haven’t been able to compose comments!!


Katherine

6 comments:

Betty said...

Hi Katherine,

I can fully relate to needing a vacation after a vacation. I always come back from vacation really tired instead of rested. Traveling really wears me out.

I really would love to have your grandmother's old fashioned tea cake recipe. I crave those things as they we a childhood thing for me. My aunt, and my Dad's cousin use to make those, and they were so good. I have never had a recipe that tasted anything like those tea cakes from my childhood.

When you have time, would you mind sending me that recipe. You can send it to my email if you want to, but please put a note in the subject that it's from you so I won't delete it.

Thank you, Katherine.

Alison Gibbs said...

Katherine love those little Easter Bonnet biscuits you have made
Alison

La Tea Dah said...

I love those hat cookies! They are stunning! Very cute idea!

I'm glad to hear you will be participating in the tea blog-a-thon. I can hardly wait for your post! I suspect the color 'yellow' and some roses might be involved. . .

LaTeaDah

Betty said...

Hi Katherine,

Thank you so much for the recipe. Yes, I would like to have this recipe and your grandmother's other tea cake recipe sent to my email if you don't mind.

email: hyder2u@aol.com

No hurry - just when you have time and feel like doing it, and thanks again.

Hugs,
Betty

Anonymous said...

Katherine, those bonnets are too cute! It would be hard to eat them but I think I may have to try making a batch, thanks for the recipe!

Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe for Old Fashioned Tea Cakes but could you give us some hints on how you made the hats? Is that a smaller tea cake on top of a larger one, and what did you make the ribbon out of? Is that some type of icing or gel?