Thursday

Easter Bunnies

Today I'm sharing some of my bunny collection. I have had most of these bunnies for ten to twenty-five years. I try to add one each year. This 16-inch chenille bunny above was at a thrift shop, it is handmade from an old bedspread with fringe on it. I thought she was so pretty I brought her home!

This pretty bunny decorated with roses is a liquid soap holder in our bathroom.

I bought this resin bunny over 25 years ago, she usually gets to be in the dining table centerpiece. Her Easter bonnet is decorated with flowers!
Bunny jelly bean holder, she has an important job each Easter! I love jelly beans!

I bought this little ten-inch bunny about ten years ago because she is wearing yellow velvet!

I have one yellow bunny, it is displayed in the bathroom.

I always liked this small bunny, I like to think she is praying!

Ceramic bunny decorated with roses.

Cute bunny among the orchids on our backporch, overlooking the lake.

I bought this bunny at a craft show, it is made from a vintage embroidered tea towel.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing some of my bunny collection, I will share a few more next week when I return. I'm taking a blogging break beginning Friday, we will be gone a week.

Origin of the Easter Bunny

There are many legends associated with the history of Easter bunny. Some legends suggest that this grand festival Easter got its name from the Anglo- Saxon goddess called Eostre, who was always seen along with her pet bunny rabbit. This very bunny of Goddess laid the first colored eggs! Easter bunny has become famous for starting the tradition of Easter egg hiding.

Easter bunny is a symbol associated with fertility. The origin of the Easter bunny can be traced to ancient pagan celebrations which regarded rabbits as symbols of fertility. Ancient tribes celebrated the beginning of spring at the vernal equinox by blessing seeds for growth and placing colored eggs on an altar.

Easter bunny became a part of modern day Easter celebration in Germany, where tales were told of an "Easter hare" who laid eggs for children to find. German immigrants to America -- particularly Pennsylvania -- brought the tradition with them and spread it to a wider public. They also baked cakes for Easter in the shape of hares, and may have pioneered the practice of making chocolate bunnies and eggs.

This symbol of Pagan times, Easter bunny, symbolizes new life.

7 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Cute, cute, cute. I especially love the chenille bunny. By the way, I didn't know you overlooked a lake. I love that. I grew up going to the "Lake Cottage" almost every weekend. No lakes by my home here in Arizona. That is on my list for my mansion in Heaven! How blessed you are to enjoy it! Have fun on your vacation.

Betty said...

I enjoyed seeing all the cute bunnies. I see you are all ready for Easter.

nannykim said...

Love the jelly bean one the best--mmmm, I could eat a few of those right now!! The Second best one is the one on your porch!

Carrie said...

This is a darling collection, and very nicely presented.

A Romantic Porch said...

Katherine, I love those bunnies, especially the one made from the vintage tea towel. I make things from vintage linens. I should show them sometime. xoRAchel

Cathy said...

Oh, Katherine, your little bunnies are precious. I love the first one and the others too. I'll have to send this to my sister, who collects them. It makes me want to collect them too. Have a great trip.

Kathy said...

Sweet bunnies! My favorite is the chenille, but also love the tea pots. Enjoyed your page!