Sunday

Kindred Spirit

My little Madame Alexander Anne of Green Gables doll. The book is flocked in green and feels so smooth and velvety!
I believe I first heard “kindred spirit” from L. M. Montgomery in her book Anne of Green gables. I’ve had a few kindred spirit friends during my lifetime. I consider myself very fortunate and blessed to have more than one kindred spirit.
I have done a little research on the internet about kindred spirits. I’ll share a few things I found.

What is a kindred spirit?"

A kindred spirit is a close affinity or bond with another person. An example of a kindred spirit between two individuals can be found in the Bible in the lives of Jonathan and David. Their friendship went far beyond personal affinity and camaraderie. Scripture records that the 'soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David' (I Samuel 18:1), indicating an unusually close bond between the two men.

Lucy Maud Montgomery was an author from the late 1800s to the early 1900s who wrote wonderful, funny, exciting, sad, happy books. Her most famous book is Anne of Green Gables, which has 7 sequels. Anne of Green Gables is about a red-headed orphan who is adopted by a brother and sister. As she grows up, she makes friends through her charming personality and her sense of humor. She meets "kindred spirits" - people who are soulmates, that you feel like you've known forever. The book is beautifully written and also has a sense of humor, just like the sequels!

"...and I go from room to room gazing at the sweetness, and the windows are all flung open so as to join the scent within to the scent without; and the servants gradually discover that there is no party, and wonder why the house should be filled with flowers for one woman by herself, and I long more and more for a kindred spirit - it seems so greedy to have so much loveliness to oneself - but kindred spirits are so very, very rare."
- from Elizabeth von Arnim's "Elizabeth and Her German Garden" Where L.M. Montgomery first read about a kindred spirit

- And MY own definition of kindred spirit:
To me a kindred spirit is a friend who thinks the same as me. I have friends who like the same things I do, such as decorating, hobbies, tea things and tea times, our belief in Jesus Christ, the books we read, movies we like, even political views. Some of my kindred spirit friends even have the same taste in clothes as me! I’ve had friends who have traded clothes with me! These kindred spirit friends truly care about me, they are always there for me, they love me in spite of my faults.

What do you consider Anne's definition of a "kindred spirit"? Do you have a different definition? Do you have a "kindred spirit" in your life?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katherine, I just loved this post!! Anne is one of my favorites!! Wish I could have known her. She is real, isn't she!?! (smile) Gwen

Lallee said...

What a sweet post. I think of a kindred spirit as someone who shares something in common with you in such a way that they become a heart link to your life. I consider you one of my kindred friends.

Hugs,
Lallee

Sandra said...

Another great post! I like your definition of kindred spirit. I also think there's an unexplainable connection between kindred spirits. You just know it when it happens between friends, kind of like twins separated at birth. :o)

LBP said...

Aren't kindred spirtis the most fun kind of friends to have?!!!

I have all L.M. Montgomery's books and reading the Anne series is a MUST every spring.

Glad I found your blog, it is beautiful.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Thanks for all of your comments and description of kindred spirit. Lallee, I like your "Heart Link" term of endearment. Sandra, that is so true about the unexplainable connection.

Katherine