Saturday

This Day

I always dread this day, it’s a sad day, remembering 9-11-01. I didn’t want to turn on the TV this morning, didn’t want to be reminded. I didn’t want to read the article on the front page written by a news journalist of his first-hand account when he was only in 10th grade, but I did. I turned on the TV and heard the names read. I read the reporters story, which did have a good ending as none of his family members were lost, but he knew many people who did lose their lives. I cried when I read about the screaming and crying and running from the gray fog in the streets. I’m praying for the survivors and family members of the ones who lost their lives. I’m praying God’s blessings on them for a good life.

I’m also praying about a happy occasion, my good friends are celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary today. She didn’t want to celebrate on this day, but we all encouraged them to have their celebration, they are entitled. Actually, yesterday September 10th is their real anniversary date, but it had to be celebrated on the weekend. I’m happy for them, these days with so many divorces (and even no marriages with just people living together) it’s quite an accomplishment to be able to live to celebrate a 50th wedding! It makes me a little sad I will never celebrate a 50th anniversary, and maybe not even a 25th! This would have been the year for my 50th anniversary too.

My special friends had a sad start for their wedding fifty years ago – their wedding day was September 10, 1960, in Miami, FL, the day Hurricane Donna hit! They went ahead and married even though there was water in the church! Their guests didn’t make it, only their parents and the Best Man and Matron of Honor, along with the organist, and the minister.

When I first heard the story of their wedding day I was amazed and a little amused, not thinking how heartbreaking it was. They did get a few pictures, but only snapshots. I don’t have any pictures of them to share, not even a recent picture, but I wanted to share their story with you.

I’m praying they will have a nice celebration of a wonderful 50 year marriage! I have known them most of this time, we met in 1966 when we moved to our new house next door to them. We had our babies together, raised our children together, and were always there for each other! They were there for me when my marriage ended in a devastating divorce after 21 years. Our friendship is even stronger today in our autumn years, with our children grown and lots of sweet grandchildren!

Yes, my dear friends, celebrate! Celebrate your successful marriage, celebrate good health, celebrate life, celebrate happiness,! We need happiness, especially on this day.

Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary, DeAnn and Ed!!

May God bless you with many more years together!


Katherine

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It is such a hard day facing us each year ... lest we not forget.
Have a beautiful weekend ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Kathleen said...

I felt like you did, K. I dread this day. Our dear friend who did fire rescue at the WTC helped evacauate all the children in the day care center there. They put all the kids in shopping carts and wheeled them out. Not many even know there was a day care center there.
After they got all the kids out, he went back in to help direct people out. He had called his wife to say he was ok, but then went back in only to die as the building collapsed.
Several of our friends kids were lost there too. We went to many memorials and funerals for weeks and weeks.
It was a horrible day in our history, and we pray nothing like this ever happens again.
But yes, you must celebrate such a wonderful thing as a 50th Anniv. Congrats to them!
My sis had hers in June and the the priest who had married them as a young man came back to celebrate with them. He is 83 now!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How wonderful to have a special and happy occasion to celebrate on this day that we remember with sadness. 50 years of life together through all the good and bad times is such a woonderful milestone -- especially for the younger couples just starting out. We're going to celebrate 35 this November -- both of our parents got to celebrate golden anniversarys -- how special.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katherine. Congratulations to your dear friends! I think they should celebrate! With all the sadness today it's nice to hear their story!
We lost a couple of friends in the towers and it's still hard to believe it.
Oh, about your tablescape. I read your post and commented and I went back to look and didn't see my comment. Maybe in my excitement I didn't click publish or something! I don't know - but I loved it the way your used the pages of the hymns between the glass plates. Very clever of you! Such a beautiful table! You did a wonderful job and I know the ladies were amazed you would do all of this for them.
Blessings to you,
Shelia ;)

Sarah said...

Katherine, congratulations to your friends. 50 years is definitely something to be celebrated. Thanks for sharing this lovely post.

JEANNE said...

Hello Katherine, thank you for your visit today. It is a dreaded day with all the reminders that so many lost their lives. We need to remember that act of evil and tragedy because we need to be aware there are people who hate so much that they would kill innocent people. Something I will never understand.

Congratulations to your friends that celebrated 50 years of marriage. Last weekend my brother celebrated 50 years of marriage. I agree, a celebration is due to anyone who makes a success of their marriage and reach 50 years together. Especially with the start their marriage had. The poor things. Good for them to stick together and have a happy life in spite of adversity.

Have a happy weekend.
Hugs, Jeanne

Love Bears All Things said...

I know we need to be reminded to commemorate the day...we won't forget but we might pass the actual day by without thinking about it.
My parents anniversary was this month...Mother died in 2005, just 2 months before their 60th and Daddy the year after..Congratulations to your friends. And you're right, they should celebrate. And that just goes to show, how you start the marriage isn't as important as what you put into it. I've seen many that started with elaborate weddings, fail. We eloped and are still together after all these years.
Blessings,
Mama Bear

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Happy Anniversary to the lovely couple....able to survive the bumps and bruises of life together for 50 years! WOW! My own first marriage ended after 21 years as well.

Huggies,
Spencer

Marilyn Miller said...

The roses are gorgeous!