Wednesday

Bundt Pan Challenge

I'm joining Cuisine Kathleen's Bundt Pan Challenge. We are supposed to show our bundt pan's, bake a cake and set a dessert table.  My vintage bundt pan goes back to the 70s, and it is avocado! It looks like it is in pretty good shape, but it has been used a lot, just not in the last few years!

  I made a homemade "scratch" cake that I used to make a lot back in the 70s.  It's Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Have you ever had it? The recipe will be at the end of this post. Here's how it looked right out of the oven!


In keeping with the 70s theme, I used two of my mother's vintage beverage servers:

Jewel Tea coffee pot:


And since I'm not a coffee drinker, the Jewel Tea Alladin Tea Pot:

To those of you who do not know about "Jewel Tea Company" - it was a sales company that came to your house to sell teas, coffees, spices and even dishes! My mother collected this autumn line of dishes. The dishes were divided between her children and grandchildren. I'm happy I have the coffee and tea pots. The more I look at them, the more I like them! I have had them put away in a cabinet, but I'm enjoying seeing them out now!


The Sour Cream Coffee Cake, the tea pot, and the coffee pot make up the centerpiece. I purposely did not use a tablecloth, because back in the 70s fancy cloths were not used with impromptu coffee cake parties!

Since this is a tablescape post, I did use rattan chargers (unheard of back then!) and a small plate stack.

The yellow plates and cups and saucers were from Marshall's a few years ago, I think the square dinner plates were as well.  The yellow napkins are from Walmart, and the cream colored flatware from Ross.


I forgot to take a picture of the inside of this tea pot
 The picture below isn't very good, but it shows the insert (which is also glass) to put the tea leaves in! It still works too!

It was already dark when I remembered to take the picture, that's why the pics are not so good.


I decorated the coffee cake with faux fall leaves:


 



Here's a special place just for you!


The coffee cake has cinnamon, sugar and nuts inside!

My husband LOVES this cake!

I hope you do to!  Tea or coffee?


I prefer tea!


I guess I'll keep this vintage pan out of "retirement!"
 These cakes aren't hard to make, and they could make nice gifts!


 Different faux flowers could be used in the center for different seasons and occasions.

 I hope you enjoyed my vintage coffee and tea party!



I'm also joining Susan's Tablescape Thursday, click on her name for lots of inspiration.

Here's the recipe:

Sour Cream Coffee Cake (from the 70s)

¾ cup butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
Cream together until fluffy.

Add:
1 ½ cup sour cream
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well.

To:
3 cups flour, add:
1 ½ teasp baking powder
1 ½ teasp. Baking soda

Add:
Flour mixture to butter mixture and beat 3 minutes.

Grease and flour bundt pan.

Pour half the batter into the pan.

Add half of this cinnamon sugar mixture:
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ teasp cinnamon
¾ cut chopped nuts

Pour remaining batter mixture of top.

Then add remaining half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing it. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.

 I love the shape of this tea pot!

Katherine

10 comments:

Mary said...

How wonderful your have your mother's tea and coffee servers, I love trailing vine and flower design! I'll take a slice of your sour cream coffee cake to go :)

thepaintedapron.com said...

Your cake sounds divine, a tried and true recipe I must make! I have decided to treat myself with a new fancy bundt pan after seeing all these posts, mine is vintage 70s too! I love the way you garnished your cake and made it the centerpiece of your pretty table~
Jenna

bj said...

Being of the age that I am...I remember Jewel Tea very well. I have a bowl somewhere that belonged to my mother in law.
Your cake sounds and looks amazing.

Alycia Nichols said...

Coffee for me, please! VERY well done, Katherine! I love it that you stuck with the 70s theme throughout. That vintage feel is all over your table, and it really helps me to remember the wonderful, rich flavor of that sour cream coffee cake that was a part of my baking repertoire throughout the 70s. I had forgotten all about it!

I'm sure Joe appreciated the fact that you brought your avocado green Bundt pan out of retirement so that he could enjoy that delicious cake!!! Mine is from the 70s, too. I feel like Bundt pans, blue jeans, saddle oxfords and wine have something in common...they're best when they're aged!!!

Have a great weekend!

Marigene said...

Very lovely table, Katherine...I am pretty sure this is the same cake that used to be my dad's favorite...I made it for him every time he came to visit, along with cardamom sour cream cookies! It is funny, so many of us have our old Bundt pans...mine is close to 50 years old...and has lots of miles on it, too.
Have a great week.

Kathleen said...

Lovely! Very inviting table, and I love that cake. My mom used to make it. I have her yellow Bundt pan, and I think I had a green one. I am glad you and Joe enjoyed it, it does look yummy! Don't worry, your doc doesn't read my blog, and he is probably out drinking wine and eating cheese!
Thanks for taking the challenge, you did a great job!

Lulu said...

There are lots of fancy bundt pans, but nothing beats the old tried and true and you can't wear them out. The Jewel Tea pieces remind me of my grandmother. Every woman of the era must have had a least one piece!

Sarah said...

Your sour cream coffee cake looks delicious on your pretty table. I fondly remember the Jewel dishes from my childhood. One of my aunts had a complete service. They are perfect for autumn.

Kathleen said...

Just wanted to let you know you got 38 visits from the challenge. :)

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

I love the way you've used your mother's pan, and the cake adorned will Fall leaves is such a pretty idea!