Wednesday

Tablescape Thursday

Tablescape Thursday, our fun day to play with our dishes! Thank you, Susan, for hosting for all of us to share! Go here for lots of inspiration.
I call this tablescape "City Country Living. I'm using a white Battenburg lace tablecloth, gold leaf chargers and crystal goblets (city) with plaid napkins and a rooster (country.)

I needed gold or brass napkin rings, but didn't have any so I looked in my jewelry box for gold bracelets! Works for me!
I used four different bracelets for the napkin rings.


I found the pretty plaid napkins this past year at either TJ Maxx or Home Goods.

The white rooster also came from Home Goods, a few months ago. You will see more of him at the Rooster Party Friday! He's excited about meeting new rooster friends, and maybe a few pretty hens!


This tablescape is a classic example of most of my tablescapes, I have always enjoyed doing budget decorating, decorating on a shoestring! I would like to share this with you:

Why I do tablescapes? First I’ll tell you I’m not in competition with my tablescapes! I enjoy doing tablescapes, it’s so fun, and it’s good therapy for me! It’s a challenge to me to do my tablescapes using what I already have. I’m a thrifty person, I don’t usually buy things to tablescape with, if I do, it has to be on sale, probably under ten dollars! Most likely I pay a dollar each at the dollar stores. I usually only buy four things to play with. I like to “shop my house” for things I already have! I like sharing a few unusual ideas with others, especially those who think they don’t have anything to tablescape with or don’t have enough money to buy more, they can see it can be done inexpensively.

I do love seeing big expensive tablescapes and seeing the latest trends in china, etc. I admire the talent of these lovely people and gather inspiration from them. Being retired I must be more frugal, and consider where to store my “play dishes.”

I don’t follow any formal rules in setting my tables. If you’ve seen my glasses or forks on the wrong side of the plate, it was purposely done, I do things to balance out the pictures. If there are any tablescape police lurking, please know that I don’t care about any formal rules. I do what I enjoy and hope others will enjoy it as well, and not criticize me!

One of the best things about tablescaping weekly is that I don’t have to cook a big meal to serve with it! LOL! I seldom ever have real guests use my tablescapes, but my friends do enjoy coming to see what I do almost weekly! This is my hobby, this is what I enjoy, my tablescapes give me an ahhh moment when I walk into the room, and my husband enjoys seeing what I come up with weekly! It’s fun, it’s exciting and enjoyable, nothing more! Thanks for listening


God Bless.

Katherine



23 comments:

The Style Sisters said...

Love the dark green table linens and the white rooster. So beautiful.

A Hint of Home said...

I love the color green and plaid, so this was a winner to me. Cute Rooster centerpiece.
I always look for cheap dishes to mix and match.
Thanks for your sweet comments.

Sarah said...

Katherine, I agree it's fun to look around one's home and find things to use to create an interesting table setting. I've always loved dishes, so there are plenty here in our home. But it's also fun to shop thrift stores to see what interesting pieces can be found for very little money.
Thanks for stopping by HFTS. I'm definitely not too young to remember the orange, avocado green, and gold of the 60s ~ kitchen appliances, shag carpet and all! LOL ~ Sarah

Jacqueline said...

The all white with pops of green is beautiful... I like buying inexpensive things too, but I too enjoy seeing others who have the china and the silver. I do have sterling that I got when we married, but haven't used it yet with my informal tables. I agree, it is a fun hobby. I even had little neighbor girls wanting to come this week and see last week's fairy table which I moved in the house and kept up. How fun they were.

Entertaining Women said...

The green with your white rooster is quite charming, and the gold charger effectively adds 'weight to your table. Great choice. I love the 'napkin ring/bracelet' idea...will be stealing that! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Katherine I love this table and how you used bracelets for napkin rings, very creative and thrifty! I am so glad you said that about your tablescaping. I also do it for fun and to see what I can pull together from around my house. I usually only set the table for two and I am able to find very cheap dishes at the thrifts and yard sales that way. I love the formal settings also but for me it's just as much fun to see a setting like yours!!

vignette design said...

Simply stunning! I love the green plaid napkins and the simplicity of this table with the white rooster wrapped in greenery. I could stare at this on and on...

Lynn said...

This is a very pretty, comfortable setting, one I'd like to pull a chair up to! I am drawn to plaid, your napkins are beautiful (how did I miss them at HomeGoods???).

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful table Katherine! Clever using those bracelets and the plaid napkins are wonderful.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

It is fun! I enjoyed your narrative quite a bit. I am just getting into it for the fun of it too! I love being able to look back over my blog and see my tables after I've done them. So fun! Love your setting this week, with the mix of country and city! Great idea on the napkin rings, and your napkins are wonderful!

GwendolynKay said...

Beautiful! Mr. Rooster looks quite grand in the center of the table. I love the idea of using bracelets as napkin rings.
Blessings and hugs~
Gwen

Debbie said...

I agree with how you feel about setting up a table just for fun. I love to do it, and what a great venue to share a *silly* little creative excercise. My husband likes it because he says it makes me happy.

Love your big white rooster in the middle of that table. It is so country French. It looks nice paired with your sage and plaid.

Marigene said...

Katherine, your City Country Living is beautiful...love all the green you have used.
I do like to shop the thrift stores, you never know what you will find for mere pennies most of the time...it pains me to have to pay more than a dollar per dish...

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

I love your beautiful green table! So pretty and elegant.

Donna

Barbara said...

Well, city and country work perfectly together. You are SO clever to use your jewelry as napkin holders. I never would have thought of that. I love the greens and golds on this table with the white.

Anonymous said...

That is simple country elegance and I love it!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Katherine -- What a charming table you've set before us -- love the combination of colors and patterns mixed together - plaid and lace and golden bracelets make a most fun setting for your charming white rooster too! Thank you, as always, for your sweet visits -- you always leave the nicest notes for me. I love tablescaping as a hobby as well and I leave them set all week to enjoy -- I know EXACTLY how you feel.

DogsMom said...

Katherine, you set a wonderful tablescape. I am glad it gives you joy.

Barb said...

Hi Katherine, you just come over and click on the links.

Your table is soooo lovely!!!!

Hugs, Barb ♥

Rettabug said...

What's green & white & fabulous all over??? This table, of course! Your centerpiece rooster is just awesome & I am sooooooooooooooooo stealing your idea of using bracelets as napkin rings. Brilliant!

I admire every single table setting that you do & the fact that you don't spend a bundle is even more impressive. BRAVO to you, Ms. K!!

fondly,
Rett

Marlis said...

love the colors. and the mix of city and country. quite clever. I too use that which i have and only occasionally finally purchase those items I've been needing anyway!

Nancy's Notes said...

Awesome tablescape and what a great collection of roosters! They are so colorful and oh so cute! I love the black and white polka dot one!

Happy I found my way to your blog!

Nancy

Kathleen said...

Lovely table! And you know I love a bargain!