Saturday

Eggs and Chicks

Today I'm sharing my Easter egg and baby chicks collection. Have you ever thought about the meaning of eggs and baby chicks at Easter? I googled it to add on this post.


Easter Eggs:

Of all the symbols associated with Easter the egg, the symbol of fertility and new life, is the most identifiable. The customs and traditions of using eggs have been associated with Easter for centuries.

Originally Easter eggs were painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring and were used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts. After they were colored and etched with various designs the eggs were exchanged by lovers and romantic admirers, much the same as valentines. In medieval time eggs were traditionally given at Easter to the servants. In Germany eggs were given to children along with other Easter gifts.

Different cultures have developed their own ways of decorating Easter eggs. To read about other cultures and their Easter eggs, click here: http://www.holidays.net/easter/eggs.htm

Some of the Easter eggs I have collected over the years:
Iridescent plastic eggs (above)

My mind is blank right now and I can't remember what these eggs are called. They are very heavy and have a bright crackled finish. If you know the name, please tell me! All I can think of is alabaster and I don't think that is right!
NOTE: Thanks to Marty and Kathleen for reminding me they are marble eggs! Now why couldn't I think of that!!

These pastel glittered eggs are displayed in a beautiful white ceramic basket.

You saw this pretty bunny recently, and I'm showing him again because of the beaded eggs in her basket.

I assume baby chickens are popular at Easter because they represent new life, when they hatch out of the egg.
In my last post I featured my bunny egg cup collection. Today I'm sharing more of my egg cup collection, these are all baby chickens. Above is one of my most favorite!

How cute is this one with it's ducky slippers on!


Polka dots:


Here's my baby chickens vignette, it is on the low curio cabinet in our dining room.




I like the vintage look decorations and couldn't resist these baby chickens. I bought them a few years ago at different places - Hobby Lobby, Joann's, etc.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my Easter eggs and baby chickens!

Happy Easter!

Katherine
Have an egg, before you go!

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Katherine, thanks for sharing your collection of eggs and baby chicks. It's fun to see what others have collected through the years. I also shared Easter eggs this week ~ great minds. ;-)
~ Sarah

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful eggs and adorable baby chicks! Nice collection hon, I like the way you've display them! Thanks for sharing. Happy Easter.
FABBY

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Katherine they are all wonderful and you have such a nice collection of different styles. I really like them all. Are the ones you couldn't remember marble? I have some marble ones that resemble yours. Your little chicks are precious and your vignette is beautiful. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs, Marty

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I remember you egg collection from years past. Fantastic. Those beaded ones are gorgeous! Happy Easter...He is Risen!!

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Your egg collection is so cute...so are the chicks :) Thanks for the interesting information about the history of eggs and for link to learn more.
Happy SS!

Lynn said...

So cute! Thanks for the sharing the information with us too Katherine! Happy Sunday:@)

Vintage Gal said...

What a wonderful egg and chick collection. Love the egg cup with the ducky slippers on ;-)

Kathleen said...

Beautiful eggs, K! I would say alabaster or marble. You have a lovely collection.
Have a very blessed Holy Week, and glorious Easter.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, those baby chicks are precious. I love them. I also love your blog header. I have a display very similar on my living room mantle. Happy Easter!

Diann said...

Oh what a beautiful collection of eggs and chicks you have! All the different textured eggs are wonderful!

Marlis said...

You have a wonderfully lovely collection. Your eggs and your chicks are amazing. each one of them. Thanks for the lovely reminder of the reason we celebrate.

A Hint of Home said...

You have a lot of adorable eggs and chicks.
Won't be long till we celebrate Easter and what Christ did for us on the cross. Have a great week!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I love that tall, skinny bunny. You have some beautiful eggs, and it was so much fun to see all of them and how you have them beautifully displayed. laurie

Entertaining Women said...

Beautiful! You probably couldn't remember because you had too many eggs in too many baskets at one time. :-) Cherry Kay

The Tablescaper said...

Such a wonderful collection. Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Fifi Flowers said...

PRETTY eggs!!!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady. I love all your sweet eggs in your collection sweet lady.
xxoo
Diane